Start the week in a healthy way…easy salad supper
Make it a healthy Monday with our recipe for a quick and easy, tasty chicken, orange and watercress salad. Created especially for you by Amy, our kitchen coach and resident home economist, and tried and tested in her own bespoke Roundhouse kitchen. Amy tells us watercress is in season right now and is not only nutritious but delicious too. It’s a great supper to kick start the week!
As ever there are a couple of helpful hints for those of you with Gaggenau, Siemens or Miele ovens
4-6 x skin-on chicken thighs, depending how big/ hungry
drizzle of olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
50g whole blanched almonds
25g pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 x oranges, segmented, juice reserved for dressing
1 x ripe avocado, quartered and sliced
1 x bag mixed watercress, spinach and rocket leaves, or any watercress salad mix
For the dressing
75ml good extra virgin olive oil
25ml white wine vinegar
1 heaped tsp wholegrain mustard
½ tsp fine sea salt
1 tbsp runny honey
any juice from segmenting the oranges
- Begin by preheating the oven on Grill with Fan, 180°C. **on a Gaggenau oven this function is called Full Surface Grill and Circulated Air, on a Miele oven it’s Fan Grill and on a Siemens oven it’s Hot Air Grilling**
- Arrange the chicken thighs on a grill tray, and drizzle with olive oil. Season well, and place under the preheated grill for 10-15 minutes, or until the skin starts to bubble and turn golden and crispy, then turn over and return to the oven for a further 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool whilst you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium high heat, and gently toast the blanched almonds until golden brown and nutty. Be patient with this part and don’t rush by turning up the heat to high – you’ll end up scorching the nuts. Tip out on to a plate to cool.
- In the same pan, toast the seeds until they start to pop, then pour over the soy sauce and stir to coat. Allow the soy to completely evaporate and the seeds to dry out, then tip on to the plate to cool.
- Whisk all the ingredients for the dressing together and set aside.
- Divide the salad leaves between two plates, then scatter over the orange segments, avocado and spoon over some of the dressing.
- Cut the chicken off the bone, and slice each thigh in to about five pieces. Arrange on top of the salads.
- Finally, scatter over the toasted almonds and pumpkin seeds, and spoon over a little more of the dressing.